The Parable of the Iron

I was ironing one Sunday trying to get my five kids ready for church and my iron refused to produce any steam. I was getting increasingly frustrated as I tried to get out some stubborn wrinkles without the help of the steam. Suddenly I realized my iron wasn't broken, I had just forgotten to put in the water! After filling the iron with water I continued ironing with much better success. As I did this I thought about how sometimes I feel like I'm running out of steam. Many times I have felt like maybe I was broken when really I had just forgotten to fill up on the living water of the gospel. Filing up on the gospel can reenergize our spirits and help smooth out the stubborn wrinkles in life. This blog is dedicated to providing a little daily water to those who are running out of steam!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

You ARE Incredible!

Stones.  Kind of ordinary.  We see them everyday.  Stones aren't as sparkly or exciting as diamonds.  However, Heavenly Father has used stones in many important places throughout the history of the world.  From the scriptures we learn the following things that Heavenly Father has done with stones:

1.  Heavenly Father touched stones for the brother of Jared to light the way inside the barges (Ether 3:6 in the Book of Mormon)
2.  The Urim and Thummim were made of stones and were essential to translating the Book of Mormon (Joseph Smith History 1:35)
3.  David slew Goliath with a stone
4.  Adam built an altar made of stones to worship
5.  The ten commandments were engraven upon stone tablets

These seemingly ordinary stones accomplished the tasks of lighting the way, assisting in worship and revelation, building the kingdom, and fighting for what is right.  In Alma 37:6 it reads ". . . by small and simple things are great things brought to pass;  and small means in many instances doth confound the wise."  Although these stones are small and ordinary they were used for many great things.

In D&C 50 vs. 41 it reads "Fear not, little children, for you are mine..."  We are His little children.  Matthew 18 vs. 4 reads "Whosoever shall humble himself as this little child the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Follow my logic here:  Small = little children (us!) and simple = humble.  So, through His little children who are humble are great things brought to pass!  This is why you are incredible to our Heavenly Father.

 Continuing on in D&C 50 vs. 44  Christ says "Wherefore, I am in your midst and I am the good shepherd and the stone of Israel.  He that buildeth upon this rock shall never fall."  Christ refers to himself as a stone because stones are strong and a sure foundation.  Christ is our example and He wants us to be strong and immovable in our convictions.  If some days you feel like a stone meaning you are feeling a little ordinary or plain or unimportant, I want you to remember that stones are strong and can accomplish great tasks just like you can.  Heavenly Father can touch your heart so you can light the way for others.