The Parable of the Iron

I was ironing one Sunday trying to get my five kids ready for church and my iron refused to produce any steam. I was getting increasingly frustrated as I tried to get out some stubborn wrinkles without the help of the steam. Suddenly I realized my iron wasn't broken, I had just forgotten to put in the water! After filling the iron with water I continued ironing with much better success. As I did this I thought about how sometimes I feel like I'm running out of steam. Many times I have felt like maybe I was broken when really I had just forgotten to fill up on the living water of the gospel. Filing up on the gospel can reenergize our spirits and help smooth out the stubborn wrinkles in life. This blog is dedicated to providing a little daily water to those who are running out of steam!

Monday, June 13, 2011

Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam!

The following is from a talk I was asked to give on our family's favorite primary song.

My assignment is to speak on our families favorite hymn or primary song.  I had to really pray about which song to use since we love so many!  My answer came very clearly that I should share with you today Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam.  When I told my family which song I had chosen there were some doubts that maybe I should have picked something a little more sophisticated.  However, I feel that the gospel has a simple message of love that can be felt by everyone including children.  So I am here today to share a simple message with you.

The sign of Christ's birth was light.  A new star was born.  On this continent there was a day and a night and  a day that were all filled with light.  The sign of His death was three days of darkness.  In 3 Nephi 11:10-11 Christ says, "I am the light and the life of the world."  Dallin H. Oaks said, "Jesus Christ is the light of the world because his example and his teachings illuminate the path we should walk to return to the presence of our Father in Heaven.  Jesus Christ is also the light of the world because His power persuades to do good."

A sunbeam radiates light and warmth from it's true source which is the sun.  We can radiate the light of Christ and the warmth of the Spirit to others around us from our true source, which is Christ.  We can do this by being a good example, serving, teaching, loving, sharing our talents, and bearing our testimonies. You do not have to have the brightest or strongest testimony in order to share it.  You do not have to have the shiniest or most glamorous talents to share them.  Even the smallest amount of light and warmth can take away the chill from someone who has been suffering in the darkness.

I would like to share a quote from President Gordon B. Hinckley's talk titled the light within you.  He said, "There is something of divinity within each of you.  You have such tremendous potential with that quality as a part of your inherited nature.  Every one of you was endowed by your Father in Heaven with a tremendous capacity to do good in the world. . . You need never feel inferior.  You need never feel that you were born without talents or without opportunities to give them expression.  Cultivate whatever talents you have, and they will grow and refine and become an expression of your true self, appreciated by others. . . Cultivate the light you have within you, and it will shine through as a radiant expression that will be seen by others."

Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam - to shine for Him each day.  In every way try to please Him -  at home, at school, at play.

I would like to end by bearing my testimony of Christ.  I know He lives.  I know He loves us.  I know He atoned for our sins so that we could live with Heavenly Father again.  I know this because I have felt the light of revelation in my life and the warmth of the Spirit in my soul.  I will be a sunbeam for Him!