The Parable of the Iron

I was ironing one Sunday trying to get my five kids ready for church and my iron refused to produce any steam. I was getting increasingly frustrated as I tried to get out some stubborn wrinkles without the help of the steam. Suddenly I realized my iron wasn't broken, I had just forgotten to put in the water! After filling the iron with water I continued ironing with much better success. As I did this I thought about how sometimes I feel like I'm running out of steam. Many times I have felt like maybe I was broken when really I had just forgotten to fill up on the living water of the gospel. Filing up on the gospel can reenergize our spirits and help smooth out the stubborn wrinkles in life. This blog is dedicated to providing a little daily water to those who are running out of steam!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

"Gratitude Unlocks the Doors of Heaven"

In Luke chapter 17 we can read the account of the 10 lepers.  I believe we are given scriptures to help guide us in life. I wrote the following analogy so I could better relate to the account of the lepers.

                        The Ten Burdened Women

And it came to pass, as He went to Arizona, that He passed through the midst of Show Low and Pinetop.  And as He entered into a certain ward, there He met ten women that were heavy with burdens. 
And when He saw them, He said unto them, come unto me all ye that are heavy laden and I will give you rest.  And it came to pass, as they went, their burdens were lightened.  And Jesus blessed the women with strength to endure their trials and wisdom to know how to handle them and visiting teachers to help them.  And one of them, when she saw that her burdens felt lighter, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God.  And she fell down on her knees, giving Him thanks.  And Jesus answering said, were there not ten blessed?  But where are the nine?  And the nine did not give thanks because although they had been blessed with strength and wisdom and help, their trials were still there.  But Jesus knew that that is how we are cleansed.  And he said unto the one, arise, go they way; thy faith hath made thee whole.


Christ cleansed the lepers bodies.  He is trying to cleanse our spirits.  We would not make it through the fiery furnace of trials without His support.  Do we thank him for that support?
In the conference talk "The Divine Gift of Gratitude"  President Monson said, "Gratitude unlocks the doors of heaven."
If we are in need of something from our Heavenly Father (which we all are) we need to first reflect on the many things we have been given and share those expressions of gratitude, not only to Heavenly Father, but also to those around us.


Additional study: The Divine Gift of Gratitude by President Monson, October 2010 General Conference