The Parable of the Iron

I was ironing one Sunday trying to get my five kids ready for church and my iron refused to produce any steam. I was getting increasingly frustrated as I tried to get out some stubborn wrinkles without the help of the steam. Suddenly I realized my iron wasn't broken, I had just forgotten to put in the water! After filling the iron with water I continued ironing with much better success. As I did this I thought about how sometimes I feel like I'm running out of steam. Many times I have felt like maybe I was broken when really I had just forgotten to fill up on the living water of the gospel. Filing up on the gospel can reenergize our spirits and help smooth out the stubborn wrinkles in life. This blog is dedicated to providing a little daily water to those who are running out of steam!

Friday, April 15, 2011

That Your Burdens May Be Light

Today I was reading Isaiah.  In the ninth chapter it talks about a yoke.  Because I have a hard time understanding Isaiah (don't we all) I was reading a book for clarification on some of the material and it gave a definition of a yoke.  Although I already knew what a yoke was, the definition brought along some interesting thoughts.  In the book Understanding Isaiah it gave the definition of yoke as "a wooden frame designed to harness together beasts of burden."  Of course this brought to mind the scripture in Matthew ch. 11: 29-30 which reads, "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me;  for I am meek and lowly in heart and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

After thinking about this yoke I realized that we are suppose to be walking together in unity with the Lord and pulling our weight also.  We have to do all we can ourselves and then as we walk in unity with Christ with one heart our load will be lightened.  Just as two oxen must pull a load side by side we must walk along side our Lord and Savior in order for him to help carry our burden.

Yokes were designed for beasts of burden to help pull a heavy load.  Are we not all carrying burdens upon our backs?  These burdens may come in the form of trials or sin and we have all experienced both.  However, the Lord can help no matter what the burden is or how heavy the load.  The point is we need to do our part and be walking by his side in order for this to happen.  So how do we walk next to him?  We come unto him through prayer, service, and covenants.

Looking back at the two oxen, many times in a team of oxen one may be stronger or more experienced.  Often when training a young oxen the owner will pair it with a stronger oxen that can lead the way.  Christ is stronger and more experienced. He can pull a much heavier load than we can and that is why when we yoke ourselves to him our burdens are so much lighter.  The scripture even says "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me"  because he is the one training us and showing us the way.  Once you are bound in that yoke you are working together as one.  This reminds me of binding ourselves to Christ through covenants.  The yoke equals the covenants that we make at baptism and in the temple and these covenants bind us together with him.

One last thought.  As oxen are yoked together and pulling a weight they are led by the driver to which way they should go.  They humbly submit to the will of the driver.  Isn't this the same as us being yoked or bound to Christ and walking together with him humbly submitting to the will of our Heavenly Father? I am going to say YES!  So, if you are carrying a heavy load today think of something that can put you closer to our Savior.  Service, prayer, repentance, temple work, working towards covenants, whatever it may be for you, and as you feel his Spirit your heart will feel lighter.

Additional study:  Matthew chapter 11