The Parable of the Iron

I was ironing one Sunday trying to get my five kids ready for church and my iron refused to produce any steam. I was getting increasingly frustrated as I tried to get out some stubborn wrinkles without the help of the steam. Suddenly I realized my iron wasn't broken, I had just forgotten to put in the water! After filling the iron with water I continued ironing with much better success. As I did this I thought about how sometimes I feel like I'm running out of steam. Many times I have felt like maybe I was broken when really I had just forgotten to fill up on the living water of the gospel. Filing up on the gospel can reenergize our spirits and help smooth out the stubborn wrinkles in life. This blog is dedicated to providing a little daily water to those who are running out of steam!

Monday, April 25, 2011

Virtue equals power!

I want to write today about the power a virtuous woman's influence can have on home, family and community.  In Mark chapter 5 we can read the well known account of the woman who had the faith that she could be healed if she could just touch the hem of Christ's clothes.  In verse 30 it reads, "And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that virtue had gone out of him, turned him about in the press, and said, who touched my clothes?"  If you look at the footnote for virtue it says: power, strength.  Proverbs 31: 10 and 25 reads "Who can find a virtuous woman?  For her price is far above rubies. . . Strength and honour are her clothing;  and she shall rejoice in time to come."  Why is a virtuous woman so precious?  BECAUSE SHE IS POWERFUL!  Righteous women have the strength and power to influence those around her for good no matter her station or situation.  Look around you.  Where can you do good today?  Of course Satan is nervous and wants to attack home and family.  He goes about this many times by degrading women and making them feel as if their value lies in their physical beauty.  Don't let him fool you into thinking you are not worth a valuable price.  A price that Christ paid with His life.  Make that life count and do good today.  Doctrine and Covenants 18:10 reads "Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God."