The Parable of the Iron

I was ironing one Sunday trying to get my five kids ready for church and my iron refused to produce any steam. I was getting increasingly frustrated as I tried to get out some stubborn wrinkles without the help of the steam. Suddenly I realized my iron wasn't broken, I had just forgotten to put in the water! After filling the iron with water I continued ironing with much better success. As I did this I thought about how sometimes I feel like I'm running out of steam. Many times I have felt like maybe I was broken when really I had just forgotten to fill up on the living water of the gospel. Filing up on the gospel can reenergize our spirits and help smooth out the stubborn wrinkles in life. This blog is dedicated to providing a little daily water to those who are running out of steam!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Walking with Christ

Peter was a great man of faith.  He was an apostle who walked with Christ.  In the account of Christ walking on the water we learn a little more about Peter. Usually when we talk about this scripture found in Matthew 14:22-33 we focus on how Peter's faith faltered, but I want to talk about how much faith Peter had.

Peter had a desire to get out of the boat and asked Christ if he could come to Him.  He was the only one who got out of the boat.  This took great faith and desire.  How many times have you had to act on faith and maybe step out into the darkness before the way was shown to you?  Maybe I could say how many times have you had to "get out of the boat" acting only on faith.

The scriptures say that Peter walked a little ways but then the winds became boisterous and he became afraid.  Fear is the opposite of faith and when he felt fear he began to sink.  As he sank he called out "Lord save me."  Then Christ and Peter walked back to the boat together.

Peter did walk a ways in faith.  It was not until the winds became boisterous that he faltered.  Once he called out to the Lord and they walked together Peter did not falter.  What can we learn from this?  The greatest lesson I learned from this account is that Christ is always with me.  Even when the "winds are boisterous" He is right there.   I can make it as long as I am walking with Him.  Peter got out of the safety of the boat, he walked on water, when he started sinking he asked for help, then he held onto Christ and kept walking.  We can all do the same.

Alma 26:6-7 and 12 "Yea, they shall not be beaten down by the storm at the last day: yea, neither shall they be harrowed up by the whirlwinds:  but when the storm cometh they shall be gathered together in their place, that the storm cannot penetrate to them:  yea, neither shall they be driven with fierce winds whithersoever the enemy  listeth to carry them.  But behold, they are in the hands of the Lord. . . and they are his;. . . for in his strength I can do all things. . . "