The Parable of the Iron

I was ironing one Sunday trying to get my five kids ready for church and my iron refused to produce any steam. I was getting increasingly frustrated as I tried to get out some stubborn wrinkles without the help of the steam. Suddenly I realized my iron wasn't broken, I had just forgotten to put in the water! After filling the iron with water I continued ironing with much better success. As I did this I thought about how sometimes I feel like I'm running out of steam. Many times I have felt like maybe I was broken when really I had just forgotten to fill up on the living water of the gospel. Filing up on the gospel can reenergize our spirits and help smooth out the stubborn wrinkles in life. This blog is dedicated to providing a little daily water to those who are running out of steam!

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Keeping on track

The other day I was trying to type up a lesson.  I was looking at my paper on the desk and not checking back on the computer screen.  Apparently I am pretty confident in my typing skills because I didn't look up for a really long time.  When I finally did, I realized that when I had put my hands on the keyboard I had moved my right hand over by one key.  The result was a complete mess that didn't make sense.  I had to completely erase all of it and start over with my hands where they were suppose to be.

As I thought about this experience I realized that in life we only have to be off track a little bit for life to not make sense.  If we do not look up from our lives and check in with our Heavenly Father on a consistent basis we may end up in a mess.  We cannot rely on our own strengths alone. We can use repentance to erase what we have done and start over, but if we are checking in regularly we will not have to do this as often.  Make sure you are positioned on the side of the Lord!