The Parable of the Iron

I was ironing one Sunday trying to get my five kids ready for church and my iron refused to produce any steam. I was getting increasingly frustrated as I tried to get out some stubborn wrinkles without the help of the steam. Suddenly I realized my iron wasn't broken, I had just forgotten to put in the water! After filling the iron with water I continued ironing with much better success. As I did this I thought about how sometimes I feel like I'm running out of steam. Many times I have felt like maybe I was broken when really I had just forgotten to fill up on the living water of the gospel. Filing up on the gospel can reenergize our spirits and help smooth out the stubborn wrinkles in life. This blog is dedicated to providing a little daily water to those who are running out of steam!

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Finding balance in our lives

       I started attending an exercise class two weeks ago.  During one of the first classes the instructor had us get out an exercise ball.  I worried a little since I had very little experience with one of these and thought it looked like it had the potential for some embarrassing circumstances.  The instructor told us that the purpose of using the ball was to help strengthen our core.  As I attempted to position myself on the ball and do the exercises I felt myself really wobbling around.  The instructor kept yelling things out like:
 - tighten your core
- find your center
- balance so you don't fall
      Finally by the last few reps I felt like I was getting it.  But, as soon as I was feeling confident the instructor told us to grab our weights and we were going to do the same exercises but with added resistance.  Of course it was much harder with the weights and I had to go through the whole process again of trying to really concentrate on tightening my core, finding my center, and balancing.  Let's just say I fell a few times!
      However, over the last two weeks as I have had additional opportunities to use this exercise ball, I have learned that if I pause while I am getting into position and make sure I am centered and balanced before I begin the exercises,  I am much more successful.
     I started to think about how this relates to life in general.  If we strengthen our core (or our testimonies), pause to find our center (or look to Jesus Christ through prayer and scripture study), and balance ourselves properly between our spiritual, emotional, and physical health, we will be much less likely to fall.  Also, when we find ourselves with added resistance during difficult times we need to lighten the load somewhere else to find our balance again. We will have to concentrate even harder on strengthening, centering, and finding balance.