The Parable of the Iron

I was ironing one Sunday trying to get my five kids ready for church and my iron refused to produce any steam. I was getting increasingly frustrated as I tried to get out some stubborn wrinkles without the help of the steam. Suddenly I realized my iron wasn't broken, I had just forgotten to put in the water! After filling the iron with water I continued ironing with much better success. As I did this I thought about how sometimes I feel like I'm running out of steam. Many times I have felt like maybe I was broken when really I had just forgotten to fill up on the living water of the gospel. Filing up on the gospel can reenergize our spirits and help smooth out the stubborn wrinkles in life. This blog is dedicated to providing a little daily water to those who are running out of steam!

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Road signs

As we drive we use signs and painted lines to guide us and keep us safe.  A painted line along the road is a simple thing.  We can choose to follow the warnings or  not.  If we choose to drive over the lines and not heed the warnings and suggestions we are putting ourselves and others in great danger.  Not following the guidelines can put us in harms way.  Traveling can bring great freedom.  We can make decisions on where we would like to go and enjoy the things we see and experience along the way.  However, if we cross over the lines we could get in a crash.  We could hurt ourselves and others.  This would greatly restrict our freedom.

Commandments are like the boundary lines in life.  If we follow them we are keeping ourselves safe as well as enhancing our freedom to go where we would like to in our life.  We can cross over these boundaries but in doing so we are putting ourselves and others in danger and potentially risk loosing our freedom.

We have many other guidelines in our lives.   Just like signs along a roadway we have the scriptures, a prophet, and communication with our heavenly Father to guide us and keep us safe in life.  Keeping the commandments and communicating with Heavenly Father helps guide our life and keeps us from crashing!