The Parable of the Iron

I was ironing one Sunday trying to get my five kids ready for church and my iron refused to produce any steam. I was getting increasingly frustrated as I tried to get out some stubborn wrinkles without the help of the steam. Suddenly I realized my iron wasn't broken, I had just forgotten to put in the water! After filling the iron with water I continued ironing with much better success. As I did this I thought about how sometimes I feel like I'm running out of steam. Many times I have felt like maybe I was broken when really I had just forgotten to fill up on the living water of the gospel. Filing up on the gospel can reenergize our spirits and help smooth out the stubborn wrinkles in life. This blog is dedicated to providing a little daily water to those who are running out of steam!

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Perspective

The other day I entered a beautiful room inside the temple that had original artwork hung on the wall.  The only chair available for me to sit in was right up against the wall.  I glanced over at the wall and realized I was sitting very close to one of the paintings.  I was up so close that I could see the brush strokes on a small corner of the painting, but I could not see the painting in it's entirety.  Honestly,  sitting up that close, the part of the painting I could see kind of looked like a brown mess.  The brush strokes almost seemed chaotic and meaningless.  Later as I left the room I was able to view the painting from further away.  The painting was of a beautiful landscape.  The brown mess was actually a part of a mountain scene.

I realized that if that "messy part" had been missing the entire painting would have been ruined.  From further away it did not look like a mess at all but was very beautiful.  I realized the artist had known more than I on how to put together the colors and brush strokes to make beautiful artwork.

Sometimes our lives can feel a bit "messy" or "chaotic."  We may wonder why we have to experience certain difficulties or trials that make life hard.  We need to realize that Heavenly Father is the master artist and is putting together our lives in a way that will create the most beauty.  We may just be "sitting up too close" to be able to see with proper perspective.  Someday we will be able to stand back and see how all the pieces of our lives were put together to make a beautiful masterpiece.